Friday, October 26, 2012

New Herford Calf, Fall Garden clean up

Since I last posted we have been busy getting everything finished for winter.  Needless to say the fall house cleaning came to a complete standstill.  We have been trudging along trying to beat the fall rains.  When I woke up and it was raining I was thrilled that I can catch up in the house.  I even had to schedule grocery shopping around all the work.  Thank heavens I keep stocked up on food.  I feel that if I have a 30 day supply on hand going into winter we won't get slammed with a blizzard.  We will have to see if that works out again this winter.

Every day has been spent picking gourds, gather what has been left in the garden, and gather hickory nuts. My gourd drying racks are almost filled, the last of the hickory nuts are picked up, and the vegetable garden is done.  I pulled down the last of the tomato plants yesterday.  I have two more days picking gourds and I will be done for 2012.  That will give my husband time to get lime spread on the hay fields, garden, and pastures.


October 18 we had another calf born.  He is a big one, we stayed with her for two hours that she was in hard labor.  My husband was 5 minutes from calling the Vet in when here he came.  I named him Bruiser because he was so big and he probably bruised her on the way out.  I felt so sorry for her, but she is fine and so is her baby.  Here is a picture of him he after Mom cleaned him up.

We have done several other projects in the last twelve days and I will post more about that later.  I need to get back to work.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment