Friday, September 14, 2012

Gathering Shell Bark Hickory Nuts

This spring our Shag Bark Hickory Nut Tree was loaded heavy with nuts.  With the drought they started dropping early and were hollow(no nut meat).  We did get some rain this summer and the nuts that are dropping now do contain nut meat. 

I keep them picked up daily( I do leave a portion of my crop for the squirrels).  After a few days the outer shell can be removed and the inner nuts are stored in a bucket for at least 2 weeks to cure.


With Outer Shell.


Outer Shell Removed
Size comparison with Quarter
Shag Bark Hickory Nuts are different from regular Hickory Nuts they are larger.  They are all hard to crack and harvest the nut meat.  I use a vise just to get them cracked.  Let them set for 24 hours and the nut meat will shrink and they are easier to remove.

I mainly use ours to make pies.  Instead of Pecans I use Hickory Nuts.  All Hickory Trees are members of the Pecan Tree Family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment