Thursday, September 13, 2012

Our garden is located at our small Hobby Farm, and it is sandy soil. I do keep one tomato trellised in a raised bed at our house that I baby through frosts to extend the season.  I will not give up on them until a hard freeze has hit and I know tomato season has ended.  We installed my husbands trellis system at the garden this year They did not grow as tall as we hoped because of the extreme heat but I will definitely have all of them trellised next year.  As you can see from the picture, he used cattle panels and steel posts.  Any trellis system will work, I prefer it over the cages, just takes a little time to train them up the panels.  We had much less bottom rot on the tomato and they are just easier to pick. 

 Due to the drought of 2012 I did not have an abundance of produce to can this year. There are more empty canning jars than there are full, but as we all know that is just part of being a gardening. 

To date I have  8 quarts  chili base frozen and 22 quarts of green beans.  I do have a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes ready to juice and then can. 

I am hoping my Lima beans produce so they can be canned before frost.

All the sunflowers are cut and hung up drying.   Potato vines are just now dying off with some still blooming it will be interesting to see how they did.

Visit often.

No comments:

Post a Comment