Saturday, September 15, 2012

Newborn Hereford Calf

Well the first of the fall calves is here.  My husband went to move hay and called to let me know we had a new addition.  I just love new calves, so I grabbed my camera and went to the farm.  I babysit while he moved hay.  She was cleaning the calf and I had to watch to make sure the baby got on its feet and nursed to get the colostrum immediately. 

Baby is nursing and Mama is fine, tending to her calf and eating grass.  It is amazing how gentle these Hereford Mama's are she was just gently stepping over the calf and nipping grass.



I stayed on the other side of the fence and took my pictures.  Our cattle are so tame it is hard to work with them at times, they want to be petted.   When they are calving we leave them alone they know what to do.   If there is a problem then we will step in and deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment